When I went down to the laundry room determined to get rid of the nonproducing oyster mushroom log, I discovered growths that looked like a horror movie version of plantar warts! Eeeuuu.
The instructions had said to look for pinning within about 2 weeks. The little black “pins” would be the beginnings of mushrooms. But the log had lived in a closet for about 6 weeks and then had been hanging downstairs for several more. And nothing seemed to be happening.
But as I reached for the cord to take the “log” down, I noticed swellings that had actually pushed themselves through the plastic bag. Mighty mushrooms!
But by the next day, they were so cute: bouquets of tiny, velvety, silvery-gray tops held aloft by thick white stems. Awww.
By day 3, they’d more than doubled in size. Maybe it is a horror movie if they continue to grow at this rate!
I noticed that the log fruited only on the side that faced the laundry room window, so yesterday I moved it outdoors under the deck where it is brighter but still in shade.
And look how big they are on day 5. I have no idea when I should think about harvesting them but I am already thinking about eating them sauteed in a little olive oil. The mushrooms, if anyone needed any reason besides favor, to eat them, provide good nutritional value: they contain a good amount of protein, vitamins including riboflavin and niacin, as well as minerals including phosphorus, potassium, and copper.