Coleslaw, coming from the Dutch, Koolsalade meaning cabbage salad, is a common and typical side dish ordered by millions of us around the world every day. It is amazing that despite its simplicity and ease to make that most of us still buy our coleslaw from the market, rather than take the few minutes needed to make our own. This very quick and easy recipe will seek to rectify that.
Coleslaw is a delicious accompaniment to various meals from southern fried chicken to baby back ribs, its versatility and variation means it never gets left in the fridge for long. This easy recipe is for the basic coleslaw that is both delicious and almost universal in its uses.
This easy recipe can be tinkered with to your hearts content, ingredients such as raisins or sultanas can be added, even apple to make a fruit coleslaw, its variations are endless. Also because of its ingredients it can be made using the leftovers from many meals, and of course is vegetarian.
For a normal sized bowl of coleslaw you will need
- White/hard cabbage, for this recipe you will need a quarter
- 1 carrot
- 1 half onion
- 2 heaped tbsps mayonnaise, low fat is fine
- Splash of milk
- Pinch of pepper
- Pinch or chopped fresh parsley, optional but a nice touch
- 1 large mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Chopping board, sharp knife for prep
- Slice the cabbage length ways as finely as you can.
- Peel and grate the carrot.
- Slice the onion as finely as possible.
- Add the vegetables to the mixing bowl.
- Now add the mayonnaise and stir well.
- Add a splash of milk and stir well to loosen up the coleslaw, add more if necessary.
- Add the parsley and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate in a suitable container, serve when ready.
Your delicious homemade coleslaw is ready, and goes great as a side to many dishes as mentioned above, also give it a try with pizza, enjoy.
Blue Cheese Dressing
A delicious dressing or dip, blue cheese dressing is great with southern fried chicken and Buffalo wings as well as many other dishes.
You will need
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- 1 cup mayonnaise, low fat is fine
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 ozs blue cheese
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Pinch pepper
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 half tsp garlic powder
- If you wish to make your own sour cream, simply squeeze the juice of half a lemon into 1 cup of double cream, stir and allow to stand for a minute to sour and thicken.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in the bowl, bar the cheese.
- Crumble the cheese into the mix and stir well.
Your blue cheese dressing is ready, enjoy.